My hometown for the next 5 months..

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Goals

I have finally figured out my goals and able to discuss them with my manager, he seems very on board to help me along with them and has arranged some seminars and events to help me with my action steps.

GOAL: INCREASE CONFIDENCE IN SERVING ABILITIES AND OVERALL BECOME MORE COMFORTABLE WITH THE ORDER OF SERVICE.

ACTION STEPS: 1.) Practice upselling on a regular basis in order to better understand and develop my own strategy in what works best when it comes to selling the product to the guest.
2.) Volunteer for as many special functions and events as possible in order to work and observe how the order of service works when hosting things such as a canapés and champagne service.
3.) Ensure I am constantly asking my supervisor for new challenges. For example, taking on more tables at once or serving the lobby on my own.
4.) Assist with training new staff that may start this summer

GOAL: ENHANCE FOOD AND DRINK KNOWLEDGE

ACTION STEPS:
1.) Take home ALL menus home to study including (Breakfast, lunch, dinner, bar and lobby menus). Take note of what flavours, textures and ingredients chefs have chosen to pair together. Take time to study pictures of every plate and observe how each are plated.
2.) Shadow one of the bartenders for an entire shift to enhance drink knowledge and common English cocktails ordered (because they sure are different here!) This will allow me to be more comfortable to mix drinks in the afternoon while I`m serving before the bartenders start their shifts in the evening.
3.) Attend a wine seminar by my manager to learn more about the different varietals the restaurant serves and their unique characteristics.
GOAL: HAVE AN INDEPTH UNDERSTANDING OF HOW ALL DEPARTMENTS WITHIN THE HOTEL ARE CONNECTED AND WORK TOGETHER.

ACTION STEPS:
1.)Arrange to cross train and shadow shifts in housekeeping, guest relations and a management roll within the restaurant.
2.) Attend the daily 11am management meeting between all departments to learn what important topics are discussed and what key pieces of information each department needs to know
3.) Have a meeting with my manager and discuss a typical day in their shoes. Take important note of how often they interact with other departments in the hotel and learn how vital it is to have an open line of communication between them.
GOAL: MAKE TIME FOR EXERCISE AND MAINTAIN A HEALTHY DIET WHILE ON A BUDGET.
ACTION STEPS:
1.) Plan all meals for the week in advance, so when grocery shopping we are only buying items we are definitely going to use and not waste.
2.) Instead of taking the bus to work, leave time to walk the 30min there.
3.) When possible arrange to run in Hyde Park with Quinn, running buddies always make things easier!

No comments:

Post a Comment