My hometown for the next 5 months..

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Change is good..

This has been a week of big changes and lots of exploring! With saddened hearts Quinn and I left the comforts of Feimehs wonderful hospitality and moved into our own flat. As sad as we both were to leave behind the home cooked meals and the free accommodation, we both agree that is so nice being able to walk to work from our flat in 20min instead of the almost 2 hour commute we were doing! Although on the plus side all the commuting has given us both lots of practice riding the tube. At first the underground system here can be a bit overwhelming with the many signs, maps and escalators that lead in every which direction, but I’m starting to feel more and more like a true Londoner everyday and can navigate my way through almost any tube station with ease :)
I had a day off this week and Quinn was unfortunately working so I went for a walk and ended up at the Natural History Museum. I spent almost an entire day there. With exhibits ranging from dinosaurs to how the human body works you can really lose track of time and get caught up in it all. The building itself is even somewhat a work of architectural art. It’s so wonderful that the city of London has been able to also make most museums here completely free of charge, which is VERY helpful when you’re living on a budget and most everything else in London is sooo expensive.
Work is still a bit of a struggle. I am finding it very difficult to pick up on things when I have no one to really train me and almost every single person I work with is ESL. It certainly makes for a big learning curve for me. I guess it doesn’t really help that the only serving experience I have is from the little bit from school. But slowly and surely I hope I am able to catch on, it’s just taking a bit longer than I want it to.

No comments:

Post a Comment